3/12/12

Keep our team name




Here's the thing that you will never understand Stefanie of Lebanon school, years before you were born non natives were killing your people and helping themselves to your land because, as they were saying, "your ancestors are only savage warriors hell bent on destroying non native people."

As you may or may not have learned in your Lebanon school, your ancestors were the peace lovers and the non native invaders were the savage warriors, so Stefanie, your ancestors are extremely hurt and unset with your way of thinking and they died for your right to Ignore (condemn) their life style of peace, love and happiness!

Stefanie's letter

I am of Native American descent and I do not feel that the use of Native American symbols or team names is discrimination.

I went to Lebanon High School and I supported my school team with pride and honor, and we never used the logos or team name in a negative way. We had fun supporting our school, and to all of my friends and myself, it meant something to be a Warrior. To change that now would be insane.

When would it stop? How long before PETA says we can no longer use animals as mascots and logos because it’s cruel to the animals? How long before we are reduced to not being allowed to have mascots and because it might offend a few people?

When have the Lebanon Warriors ever given Native Americans a bad name? The answer is never that I know of. It gave students and fans a sense of pride and something to rally around to support our school teams.

I look at it as a way of honoring my ancestors and their heritage. Walk through the halls of Lebanon High School and tell me that they are sending an improper message of the true spirit of American Indian heritage. To me, it gives people a chance to recognize the American Indians as strong people and people to look up to and admire.

If we force people to change their mascots and team names, then what message are we sending?

No comments:

Post a Comment