4/25/12

Our old Prayer Rock

Our old Prayer Rock
Lowell Massachusetts
http://www.lowellma.gov/





Cauchegan
Thank you for your question about our old Prayer Rock, it has been sometime since I made the trip back to the altar.
You have given me a reason to reminisce about the many times my ancestors used the rock for teaching.
My elders often told the story about how the rock got its name, you see back about the time Europeans were traveling around Montville Connecticut, they came across a family living within and around the bottom of the rock, from what the Mohegan told them, with their limited English and the English limited Mohegan, they recorded the families name as Cochegan however, this spelling is, as often happens with native to English, incorrect spelling.
As was his custom, Sachem Uncas placed this family, the Cauchegan family, in their round house at the base of the rock to help clean and care for it while his people traveled.
I did a report about this while in Bulkeley Junior high, I found all of this information at the Raymond hill library back in the 1950′s that confirmed our teaching.


No comments:

Post a Comment