1/10/13

"Teach yourself first, if you do not like the teaching, why should anyone else"?

A True Traditional Native American never has to brag or show off in public.
If, you are in fact a true Native American?
Allow the blessings to come down to you from your Grandfather (Creator) never from Trickster!
Blessings always come down from Creator after a prayer from the heart and never up to Creator!
While we are talking ‘blessings,’ the ‘audacity of humans’ (creations), to assume the power of Creator to bless anything or anyone!
I may be writing so much about this round table that, like politics, you get sick of reading about it?
One major difference, there are many, but the big one is that I am not trying to get into your wallet;
I am trying to get into your native heart.
Blame this posting on our friend John.
I like it when people write to me with questions/statements; it tends to shake off some dust from my memory.
While writing my last reply I was reminded of my first school visit invited at Uncas Elementary in Norwich Connecticut.
NO, I will never forget that day!
"Teach yourself first, if you do not like the teaching, why should anyone else"?
My grandfather gave me one of his old regalia’s a short time before and of course the clan mothers had to do massive amount of cutting and stitching to fit.
I did not like the first visit to a school and could tell that I was losing the children, you see I dressed to the 9's with everything native I could get my hands on, I guess to show, "I am a Native American"!
Well the first thing, everyone in the school knew me;
I had made many visits with my father and grandfather so I'm guessing I must have looked a little foolish?
Second thing, it was July!
Every time I walked around the stage I felt that I might pass out from the heat, Skin Regalia is meant for the winter!
I never allowed to be stuck on a stage again; I want to talk eye to eye.
It is now important to mention at this time that no one in my tribe in modern time ever killed!
This regalia came as a donation from a foolish driver in the middle of the night!
I stopped the visit begged for a few moments and left to change into July street cloths.
Point being, I quickly found that dressing to fit in while at a round table and having your native things around for teaching was the correct way to go, follow the lead of your elders!
Every time I see a "Medicine man" or "Medicine woman" or "Spiritual teacher" in the limelight dressed to the 9's I am reminded of that first day!
A True Traditional Native American never has to brag or show off in public, if you are in fact a true Native American?
Allow the blessings to come down to you from your Grandfather (Creator) never from Trickster!
So many times I watch a "Professional Reporter" interviewing a " Professional Native American" dressed in what they must believe the public wants to see (Hollywood costume) I must giggle!
“Been there done that”!
I wonder if this costume is also worn at work, at play and at each meal also or is it just for show and tell time because that person has doubts.

No comments:

Post a Comment