8/29/13

The myths about our symbols, flag or staff, Part two


While writing about our flag, called the Sachem's Staff, I must write from my past teaching from our elders, now ancestors.

Like Old Glory, a Sachem's Staff is sacred to our people, so much so that it is never to be recorded or abused.

A blessing for Sachem.

The last time that I was able to enjoy the powwow trail we were at an Auburn University Student powwow many years ago.

The Head Veteran walked over, stood to be recognized then handed me tobacco, left hand to left hand and asked permission for my staff in the circle.

You all know me, the big bag of wind, I spent so much time explaining the history of my Great Grandfathers staff, while he stood in silence.

He then said "thank you Sachem, please walk my circle with me, we will make the circle worthy of grandfather".

That was the only hiccup of the day, make a circle worthy of Creator.

The next intermission we, every veteran in his group, walked my great grandfathers staff and my peoples POW~MIA Flag into the circle and set them in the East.

I am so proud of those students and that University and will never forget!

I am a proud citizen of the United States of America.

I am also a proud New England Native American descendent.

My ancestors also have a flag, or should I say, a symbol (Sachems Staff) for our people (Mohiingan) and our tribe.

This symbol was in use long before Old Glory of course because we were around long before the United States of America.

Yes, many other tribes have a Chiefs Staff, some now also have a flag?

For this reason it does not matter to my people where a flag must be at any time, because, our symbol as well as all of our ceremonies, should always be shown to the left.

So, if presented with other symbols from other countries it should never be a problem.

That was until this newer group of gatherings, loosely called powwows.

Everyone of the hundreds of Paw-paus that I have attended, all of the Sachem staff’s go into any Sacred Circle before Grand Entry and set in a place of honor, once set recordings are welcome.

This blog does not care where other tribes wish to place a flag or a staff because this blog is only here to teach you about my people?

I am no expert on other countries or tribes.

However, if you are at our gatherings, this blog now cares. Please respect our ways.

All for the powwows up until the early 1980’s, Sachems and guest Chief staff’s do the same, they go in before Grand Entry, Creator is always invited first and before the people. It is also easier at avoiding any recordings.

From the time soon after my Grandfather sent my cousin, his War Chief out west, we have also allowed flags, as long as they were presented properly to follow the staff’s at the beginning of Grand Entry.

We do not have a rodeo, circus or carnival, we always have a Paw-paus or the old fashion powwows and do so four times a year, so if you come to visit, all are always welcome, enjoy an old fashion Traditional Gathering of the People.

No comments:

Post a Comment